Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Bittersweet Mother's Day After My Son's Suicide



“I’m having a Mother’s Day Tea,” my friend Becky said on the other end of the phone line, “and am inviting some of our writer friends and a few of the ladies from church.”

My heart dipped.

Six weeks into grieving my son’s suicide, I didn’t know how I could possibly get through an afternoon without crying. Each afternoon played out the same, and escalated into evenings of tears, tears, and more tears. I did not intend to upset my friends and ruin a tea party, so I said, “That’s so kind of you, Becky, but I’m afraid I can’t go. I’m too weepy and that will bother everyone.”



To read the entire story, go to OpentoHope. Then, click on "Articles" that is halfway down the page, and you'll see my article.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers who have lost children and to those who have not. God bless you for the love you've poured out onto your children.

Until next time . . . remember.

[photo is of my son Joshua at age nine]


2 comments:

  1. I have lost two husband's, not through suicide, but through natural causes. That was hard enough. I cannot even begin to imagine losing a child, and then from their own hand. Prayers for you, Jean Ann. Sometime, somehow, may God heal your heart and ease the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for dropping by, Cecilia. Oh, I do need prayers.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete