Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Psalm 40:4~Blessed is the Man



Trickles of Water: Photo by Jean Ann Williams


Good morning, dear readers,

The Psalmist writes:
"Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie!"

Wow, dear readers, this appears as a heavy-duty, not fair verse, but is that the case?

If we make the Lord our trusted God, why would we need any others who are proud in themselves and believes the lies of Satan? God is telling us, "I am the only way, and if you choose Me over lies, I will bless you."

You will find God's blessings throughout His holy scriptures. Reading God's Word is the foundation of how He talks to us for His assurances, boundaries, and the moral codes He has set for us to follow.

Following God is not easy for us with wandering eyes.

If we do look another way in a time of weakness, the Lord is willing to draw us back to Him in whatever way He deems best. Think of His way to get our attention as a parent who disciplines a child for their safety. God is not mean. He wants our full attention, which is the best for us and will continue to bring about the blessings He promises. 

What, you may ask, has this to do with death by suicide?

Trusting in God and not the proud and those who go after lies, is important when we've lost a loved one, which includes loss by suicide. In our time of deep sorrows, we are confused, exhausted by tears, and looking around for God. One does not have to feel God to understand He is there, and because we've lost a loved one doesn't mean God flees.

Looking back over the nine years since my son Joshua died by suicide, I can proclaim God never left me.

I had a grief so great, it allowed no room for "touchy feelies" where God is concerned. That disturbed me, so I researched scriptures in the Bible. I found many verses that assured me to continue to trust in the Lord, and not turn to those I could see who are proud and gone astray after lies.

I could look back and spot the times the blessings flowed and they continued to this present moment. Many from God fearing and loving people. So many, that I'm compelled to write a book about my first year after the loss of my son to suicide. I can't be silent about how the Lord helped me then and continues to today.

Father God, I pray for my readers that they, also, will find joy in worshiping and trusting in You. In Jesus' holy name. Amen.

Until next time . . . trust in Lord God.


No comments:

Post a Comment