Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Comforting Someone Who Has Lost A Loved One To Suicide

Unfortunately, I comforted my sister today, who lost her husband yesterday to suicide. I say unfortunately because of her loss. I do want to be instant in season and out of season for those who are left behind after such horrific losses.

I made a point to listen to my sister. It didn't matter that at times I couldn't understand her when the sobs grew louder than her words. It did matter that she knew I understood.

I shared a few details about the morning we lost Joshua. She wanted to know more, and she asked many questions.

We prayed together, and our conversation ended with her feeling not as alone. She even said she'd call me first if she felt too overwhelmed.

I did one more important step, though. I gave my sister the name of a grief counselor in her area. How did I find that? On The Compassionate Friends Website.

Thank you, Lord, for helping us!

Let me back up and say that before I spoke to my sister, I asked many Prayer Warriors to pray for her. They did, and will continue to do so. They got me through my loss, they'll be diligent and get my sister through hers.

God bless you dear ones who are praying for our family during this sad time.

God is Love!

Until next time . . . be ready to pray.



No comments:

Post a Comment