Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Psalm 37:37~Behold the Upright





LiahNora, Joshua's Cat


Good morning, dear readers,

King David writes:

"Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace."

How many of us can attest to this verse? Raise your hands now. :)

I want to tell you a true story. One that I am not proud of. Over a month ago, I was very ill, and it was just past the anniversary of Joshua's death. I was sick at heart and plain sick. I coughed and coughed until I could no longer sleep lying down. It was right before the time I moved to a recliner and sat up to sleep at night, when it happened.

Weary worn one morning, I went out to water the goats. I had a pressure in my chest and I had to think about breathing. As I placed the clean pail of water in its spot, my new neighbors were walking toward the boundry wire fence that was between us. I'm certain they did not know I was within hearing distance.

The wife said, "Those goats stink . . .," and she said a cuss word.

I thought I misunderstood her words. Did she just say goats? The new neighbors that backed their RV right  up against the goat pen when they had other hook ups to choose from? No, I thought.

Then, the husband said, "What?" She repeated her words, and ended with, ". . . don't they?" Hoping her husband would agree, I imagine.

Well, let's just say I lost it. Let's also say that Satan knows exactly when to tempt us to sin. I was not the perfect person and I was not having upright thoughts, so I had no peace. I blurted out to my new neighbor, "What did you just say?"

The wife blew up and yelled words at me. I shook my head in disbelief, and I said, "It makes no sense whatsoever that you parked your RV right up against the goat pen."

She said more words and I raised my voice, and scolded, "You are not a nice lady," and I walked away.

Why, pray tell, did I not keep my blooming mouth shut? I was caught off guard that's what. My defenses were down. I had no tolerance for anything. I'd just went through the ninth anniversary of my son's death.

Now, dear readers, I am NOT making excuses. I am showing you what happened when Satan caught me off guard. We must as often as possible keep our guards up against his fiery darts. The results of those darts tortured me for three weeks.

I had no peace about the situation with my neighbor, and I wanted to apologize to her. No matter that she began the conflict. God doesn't care who starts the fight. As followers of Christ, we must as the scripture teaches turn the other cheek. I did not. I boldly spoke words I should have kept to myself.

When I told my son Jason what I had done, and that I was seeking an opportunity to appologize, he said, "Mom, that's good, because you may be the only Bible she'll ever read."

Gulp . . . The knot I nursed inside my gut melted.

Did God bring the perfect timing for me to say "I'm sorry"? Yes, indeed, and now the wife and I speak over the fence and I am grateful.

Father God, thank You for allowing me to right a wrong. My words spoken in anger are taken away and forgiven by You and my new neighbor. In Jesus' holy name. Amen.

Until next time . . . guard your hearts in prayer from the Tempters darts.



No comments:

Post a Comment