Monday, May 11, 2015

Monday May 11th~God's Mercies after Suicide: Blessings Woven through a Mother's Heart~A Mother's Memories




Joshua holding the 76 ball and The Crew on graduation day


The crippling effects of Joshua’s arthritis had settled in, and he would celebrate his nineteenth birthday in four months.

He and his friends were looking forward to their first year of college in the fall, but Joshua’s dreams continued to unravel. His friends saw this and decided to take him on a surfing trip near Santa Barbara, California.

At first Joshua said no to the invitation, for he hadn’t been able to surf in months. His friends wouldn’t hear of it, though. They insisted they would help Joshua get on his board so he could float and take in some sun. I was much relieved for Joshua’s buddies, for my son had been depressed.

All packed and ready to go, Joshua, with me, watched a car full of his friends pull into our driveway. I hugged my son good-bye. Joshua left the house, using his cane to ease the pain where ankylosing had fused one side of his pelvis.

Through the window, I watched a handful of Joshua’s friends from high school, who were a part of the bigger group known as “The Crew.” One boy jumped out of the front seat, and another starting strapping Joshua’s surfboard onto the car. Someone took his bag and stuffed it in the trunk. The boy that got out of the front seat waved to my son. He hollered, “Shotgun, Josh.”

No one helped Joshua as he eased into the seat, propping his cane next to him. A man wouldn’t care for that kind of help, and they knew this.

I hugged myself and sobbed for their display of friendship for one of their wounded.

Lord, God, please keep my son safe on the water. I’m grateful for the Crew. In Jesus’s name. Amen.

Reader Journal
~Your Mother Memories~
~Your Prayer of Praise~
~A Scripture of Encouragement~

No comments:

Post a Comment