Monday, February 25, 2013

Psalm 30:5/I Commit My Spirit





Joshua with mitt, ready to get the kid out on first base


Good afternoon, dear readers,

The Psalmist writes:
"Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth."

Does this sound familiar? According to my Bible references, Jesus said this before He took his last breath on the cross, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." Luke 23:46.

Was the Psalmist foretelling what our Lord Jesus would say? I believe so.

Even Stephen, the first Christian martyr of the Bible, said this, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Dear readers, could we then say this at our last breath?

Will we have lived a life that allows us to say with confidence this very thing before we pass over? I hope so.

No matter what the loss, whether death, financial, friendship, relative, health, we must reach out to the only one true God who can carry us through any trial ever imagined.

Does this mean we must be stoic and brave through it all? I think not. God wants us to need Him. He requires it, actually. I became so broken after my son died by suicide, I questioned my identity. That was a good thing.

Really? you may ask.

God allows testing to those whom He loves. We have to suffer in order to be like pliable clay in Lord God's hands. Am I being soft clay today? Or am I prideful, instead? How about you?

The last part of the Psalm verse concludes: "thou hast redeemed me." Once we've given our prideful selves over to God and we can say at the end, I commit my spirit, then God redeems/frees us and we go to live with Him forever in Heaven.

Isn't this a better way to live than what the world offers?

Holy Father, thank You for buying us with the death of Jesus our Savior from an eternal life of suffering. In Jesus' holy name. Amen.

Until next time . . . let us study God's Word and learn how.


No comments:

Post a Comment