Thursday, December 27, 2012

Psalm 16:7/In the Night Season





                                       A classmate in high school with Joshua


Dear readers,

King David writes this:

I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night season.

Did you know we can bless the Lord? I believe this bless is like giving reverence. The part of this that had me researching was the word reins.

In the English Standard Version the word reins means mind. So our mind also instructs us in the night season.

The night season here may well mean simply night time. Let's take the words night season, though, and  apply them to those of us who are in a night season because of loss. No matter where we are in our grieving season, night season, our mind needs to take in God's counsel. We do need to ask God to counsel us as we grieve.

What do I mean by this? That we should consult Lord God on a daily basis on how we feel, think, words that we want to speak. We are so fragile in our night season, but down the path of loss, we will see dawn approaching.

My night season went on too long, I thought, staying in the house where my son died by suicide. Now that I look back, it was my stubborn do-it-by-myself heart and my pride that didn't allow God to be my full strength.

It was my own lack of trust in God that He saw fit to keep me there for almost four years. He had to break me, until I gave in and said, "I am Yours, do as You will with my life."

Now, He was thinking, I can use this child of mine for My glory.

That was the toughest lesson I have or ever will have, I believe, to experience. I almost didn't pass the test. I wanted to give up, but God is bigger than giving up.

How are you today, dear readers? I'm going to boldly say, let's listen to God's counsel and be blessed beyond our wildest imaginations.

My prayer for us today:

Father, holy One, we are still sorrowing, but You have not left us. Open our ears to Your counsel. In Jesus' holy name, I pray. Amen.   

Until tomorrow . . . Seek.


No comments:

Post a Comment