Sunday, December 16, 2012

Psalm 4:4/Stand In Awe


             Joshua, age fifteen, standing at the entrance of a cave at the Grand Canyon


Good morning, dear readers. Let's take a look at what David writes in this verse, and just how it applies to our grieving journey:

Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

My husband looked up the word awe, and the more reliable commentaries agreed this word means: quivering with violent emotion, such as grieving, angry or fearful.

If you've ever wondered what God thought about grieving, here is your answer. Of  course we are to grieve, but not to sin in our grieving. We want to grieve God's way.

A few times when I was alone in the house, I pressed my face into a pillow and screamed until I ran out of breath and my throat ached, always ending in sobs. That released my pent-up tension, and allowed my mind and spirit to rest.

Let's go on to the next part: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.

A year into my grief over Joshua, I was exhausted physically from not enough rest and from crying every day. I decided I needed counseling at Hospice. That lady helped me a lot, but what stuck in my head and helped me the most is this: She said, "Stay in bed after you wake, for about fifteen minutes. Lay there and let yourself wake fully. Pray, if you want. Think loving thoughts, if you can. Cry if you need, but be still before you start your day."

I did that and it helped a lot. You can do that, too, even if it means setting your alarm to go off fifteen minutes earlier.

My prayer for today, is this:
Father, help us. Give us Your strength, even in our tears and fears. We know we can be still and know You are ready and willing to reside in our hearts. In Jesus' holy name, I pray. Amen.

Until next time . . . be still.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment