Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Psalm 4:5/Trust in the Lord



                                            Dana & Joshua Fishing the Ocean

Dear readers,

Let's look at what David says in today's verse:
Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord.

This verse comes right after yesterday's, and so I am considering that David means it is a sacrifice to choose righteousness.

It is harder, much harder, to make it a habit to put our trust in the Lord. Well, maybe I should speak only for myself. For me, it's much easier to be angry, have unrighteous anger, that is, than to trust in the Lord.

Okay, I'll say it, I have anger issues.

Lately, though, I've decided I need to train myself to trust God first. I believe my faith grows from making that conscience decision to trust God in whatever obsticle that comes in my life.

Is it possible to put our trust in the Lord even in early grief, even loss of a child? And, even when someone we care about has made our grief more difficult, however so and for whatever reason?

Yes, it is.

That doesn't mean we don't hurt and hurt deeply by what that person did or said, for we feel pain and sorrow and that's the way God created us. And to have righteous anger is allowed, but to harbor it and embittered with it, is sticking an idol between us and God. In other words, we've allowed that person to come between us and God.

Ouch! All that does is compound our hurt, making us more miserable. 

I need all the help I can get from the Lord, so I must choose to forgive when someone hurts me to my core. Does that mean we should forget, well, yes and no. Yes, in that the bitter root in our heart is gone and so the pain dulls. No, in that we understand the relationship has changed. We may not be able to trust that person now, and God understands. Unless of course that person has acknowledged they hurt you and are sorry, then there is hope to trust once again.

The good news, the best news ever, is we can ALWAYS trust God.

Do you want a relationship with Lord God? Then, pick up His written Word and learn from Him and about Him. See and understand His marvelous love for us through His Son Jesus. Then, in time, you'll long to have a relationship with Him.

My prayer for us today:
Lord, please help us to follow after You and not our own selves,  for You are God and we are not. In Jesus' name I ask. Amen.

Until next time . . . trust in the Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment