Thursday, December 20, 2012

Psalm 6:6/With My Tears



                 Joshua at age fifteen, after he was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder

Good morning, dear readers,

King David was an emotional guy. He had big feelings he could not stifle. Here's what David says:

I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.

Here is what the English Standard Version  Bible says: I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.

The versions are similar, aren't they?

Have you cried as many tears as King David? He cried because of his enemies. They would not stop pursuing him. He was so tired. So fed up with all his groaning and moaning. David wanted to be happy again.

Is this where you are?

I was once there for almost four years.

What changed for me, you may wonder. I had gone through the hardest part. I didn't quit. I was very tempted to quit, but I did not. The Lord saved me, instead.

There were a few things that helped me along my grieving journey that God brought into my life. The human kind to meet my human needs:

  • Soft soothing music filled my soul with a needed rest
  • My children, especially my daughter Jami
  • Kind friends to hug me and listen to me one more time
  • A kind friend who created lap quilts for Jim and me out of Joshua clothes
  • My loving husband
  • A good church group
  • Two travel trips to see family
  • Good concordances to clear up Bible questions
  • A comfy bed
  • Good books that took me away for awhile
  • Comfort foods
  • Caring neighbors, who were not afraid to talk to me
I could go on and on. I listed all these because my hope is that you will see the blessings in an otherwise harsh reality that you may be living through.

After all the blessings we consider, go ahead and keep crying until there are few tears. Jesus wept (John 11:35). David cried. Jeremiah the prophet was noted as the weeping prophet.

Tears are healthy, and then we get up off our couch or bed and live daily life to the best that we are able.

Let me recommend a book. Tear Soup is a picture book for all ages that helped me through part of my grief. I believe it is one of the best books out there for grievers, especially loss of a child.

Here's my prayer for us today:

Father God, You are a gentle Lord. You made us with tear ducts. You made us with feelings. You made us in Your own image. We love You, Lord. In Jesus' holy name, I praise You. Amen.

Until tomorrow . . . weep and praise God for the comforts. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment